Teaching My Kids to Cook with a Story Along the Way

-*-

Thursday 4 March 2010

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

Mexican Cornbread Casserole
Its funny what you forget and remember. I hadn’t thought about making this forever. I know I haven’t made this casserole in the last 6 years.  But when I was thinking today about what to make for dinner, I thought about the cornbread recipe I posted yesterday and I was reminded about making this for some reason. Easy and almost one pot and delicious. Its easy to double if you need to feed a lot. This serves 4-6 people all depending on how hungry the boys are. Make the meat mixture first and then make the cornbread recipe to put on top. Scrumptious.
1 pound ground beef
Browned off in a skillet - drain grease off and put aside.
1 onion - diced
1/2 bell pepper - any color - diced
1/2 Jalapeno - minced or quarter or whole - optional and up to you how hot you want it
Saute onion and peppers in a little olive oil for 5-10 minutes.
Add the beef back into the pan. Add
1 can corn - (liquid drained) 12 ounce (+/-)
1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounce +/-)
1/4 cup water
1 envelope taco seasoning (or similar)
1 handful chopped cilantro
Continue to heat for another 5 minutes until hot thru.
Spoon into a 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle onto the beef mixture
2 cups grated cheddar or monterey jack or pepper jack
Make a batch of cornbread and spoon over the meat and cheese.
Bake in a 350F oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and the batter is cooked thru.

0 comments: