Teaching My Kids to Cook with a Story Along the Way

-*-

Thursday 13 May 2010

Dinner at Mr. Underhill's

We had known about Mr. Underhill’s for some time since coming to Ludlow two years ago, and now, we have been supplying the flowers for the restaurant since the fall of 2009. But my first experience at Mr. Underhill’s was in January of this year; all of my expectations completely and utterly surpassed, I thought it was perfect in every way. Unpretentious but attentive and intelligent service.  Food -  where every taste had been so carefully thought about: flavor, texture, intensity, continuity, building to a crescendo, leaving you utterly satisfied - like one of the great romantic musical arches composed by Rachmaninoff. On the wine list, I found one of my all time favorites - a small eclectic wine make from Bonny Doon in Santa Cruz California. I was, all night long, on the edge of my seat. Before we had left that night, we had agreed that Judy would let us know when the next available date we could come again. 
On May the 15th, Phil and I will have been together for 6 years, so when May 12th opened up for us to experience Mr. Underhill’s again, we thought we would also use it as an opportunity to celebrate our time together.
Last night, the experience lived up to its Michelin starred status. Absolutely delightful. The menu was exciting - simple descriptions that tell you exactly what you are about to eat, but once delivered, you are thrilled to see the mastery in which it has been executed. I tried to use a different adjective for each course, but the words failed me. One time I thought I might even shed a tear as I experienced absolute culinary perfection - especially the duck liver custard with sweetcorn cream and lemongrass glaze. It is food that is thrilling, joyous and inspired - small portions (but lots of them) leaving you wishing there was just another bite. By the time you have coffee and chocolates you couldn’t manage another morsel. 
Im sure you must all think I have gone a little over the top about the way I described last night, but I promise you, I have not. You must experience it for yourself to see that I have been absolutely true. If you have never been or haven’t been in a while, call and make a reservation to experience what Chris and Judy Bradley have at Mr. Underhill’s. Thank you to you both. Bravo!

0 comments: